The Education programs of the Lebanon Mountain Trail Association (LMTA) focus on facilitating the introduction and promotion of environmental behaviour and ecological awareness towards Lebanon’s natural heritage, and knowledge about its preservation.
The Trail To Every Classroom (TTEC) strategy has been developed to achieve the LMTA educational objectives, by engaging students in environmental behaviour-based attitude, while highlighting global and local environmental challenges. This development program provides educators with the tools for activities that engage students in exploring the LMT trails as a resource for learning through outdoor and environmental hands-on activities and games, with the aim of raising awareness and conservation ethics.
In particular, the LMTA has developed a Water Awareness Teacher’s Guide, which aims at integrating water-related activities, lessons, and exercises into the curriculum of students in Grades 3 to 10 and thus serves as a tool within the education program. This teaching guide is now available in 3 languages (Arabic, English, and French) and we aim at implementing it in and out of the classroom for sustainable environmental behaviour.
The following activities and more will be undertaken with the school kids:
- At least one outdoor outing on the LMT, with an environmental educator and a local guide, to discover the local fauna & flora. It will include nature observation activities, outdoor games to understand our ecosystems, roles plays about littering & waste and responsible hunting, with interactive discussions about issues and solutions.
- The Water theme will be explored in depth through observation; Water games involving understanding water scarcity, visible & invisible water pollution; and activities to conserve water.
- Furthermore, the LMTA Water Awareness Teacher’s Guide will be distributed and explained to a few teachers, assisting them on using it throughout the year
- A small eco-project will be developed in each class or group of classes
Our target now is to gradually implement the LMT water & environmental awareness program in 4 public schools in Jezzine, South of Lebanon.
– Jezzine Public Elementary School
– Roum Public Middle School
– Lebaa Public Middle School
– Al Mjaydil Public School
The Jezzine Region is a model area known for its protected environment, whose people have the opportunity to enjoy a higher quality of life in their diverse villages.
For the past five years, several individual initiatives in agriculture, tourism, and local development have been implemented in the region. This is considered encouraging; however, the Jezzine region needs strong local leadership to direct sustainable and comprehensive strategic development that can revive the region, stimulate its economy, and restore the trust of the population to invest in it. This would result in an increase in employment opportunities and social valorisation. Ultimately, the goal is to keep the locals in their villages and strengthen their affinity to the area.
Help us in funding this project to develop in those kids a greater appreciation of the value of our natural resources, in particular cultivate in them a better understanding of the importance of fresh water, its scarcity, why we should conserve it and especially keep it clean!
If we raise more than our required budget, the exceeding amount will be used to sponsor additional public schools along the trail
About the Lebanon Mountain Trail Association:
The Lebanon Mountain Trail Association (LMTA), a non-profit organization, was established in 2007 and it is the first long-distance hiking trail in Lebanon and the Arab region. Extending from Andqet in the North to Marjaayoun in the South, the trail stretches across 470km (290 miles) through 75 towns and villages at altitudes ranging from 600m to 2,000m (about 1,800-1,600 feet) above sea level. It also crosses 3 protected areas, 2 Biosphere Reserves and 1 World Heritage Site. The LMT showcases the natural beauty and cultural wealth of Lebanon’s mountains. It brings communities together and expands economic opportunities in rural areas.
LMTA’s primary goals are to:
- Develop, maintain and protect the LMT
- Establish side-trails on the LMT
- Conserve natural resources and historical landmarks on the LMT
- Expand and promote responsible tourism on the LMT
- Develop educational tools and programs related to the LMT
HELP BUILD ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP IN JEZZINE
UpdatesThe Trail to Every Classroom (TTEC) project puts an emphasis on nature and water awareness – water pollution and conservation - in public schools in villages along the Lebanon Mountain Trail (LMT), because we believe that the youth living in those villages can become stewards in preserving their natural environment and heritage!